Re: realplayer does not take into consideration .asoundrc

On Monday 11 April 2005 23:00, Lorincz Andras wrote:
> I'm using kernel 2.6.10 and alsa. I have a SB Live! card and an onboard
> via sound card. Sometimes I want to use the onboard card. In order to do
> that I do this:
>
> - create .asoundrc in home directory with the following contents:
> [snip]
> - /etc/init.d/alsa restart
>
> If I start xmms, xine or mplayer they start using the onboard card but
> realplayer does not. Can anybody tell me why is this?

I'm guessing realplayer doesn't use alsa.  You could try running it through a
wrapper for a sound daemon that *has* been set to use alsa, such as esd or
arts.  But you'll probably have more luck telling one of the other players
where to find your realplayer libraries, so you can use those players to
view/listen to real content.

On another note, I'm not certain, but I'd be surprised if restarting the
system-wide alsa (/etc/init.d/alsa) after modifying your *personal* alsa
settings has any effect.  Your ~/.asoundrc is probably read when you run a
new alsa program yourself.

--
Lee.