Re: Services in Debian

On Monday 11 April 2005 02:11 am, Robert Storey wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 00:08:05 -0400
>
> Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 10 April 2005 11:33 pm, Robert Storey wrote:

> > > You can also do it manually, but that is a nuisance. Basically, you
> > > do this - to prevent apache from starting:
> > >
> > >   update-rc.d apache remove
> > >
> > > To add apache back in so it auto-starts again:
> > >
> > >   update-rc.d apache defaults
> >
> > Is this a "Debian" thing?  I've never heard of this before as well,
> > and the  books I read and learned sys admin stuff from were all Red
> > Hat based (and not  one of them mentioned it), so that's why I'm
> > asking
>
> Yes, this is Debian specific. Kind of a pity that the major distros
> can't agree on a common way to start up services.

As I indicated in my comments in another response, when I tried to get into
Debian the first half dozen times (I wanted the easy install and upgrades and
was tired of RPM hell), I hated it.  Now that I've gotten used to it, it
seems like the "Debian way" makes things so much easier, I don't see why more
distros don't adapt to it.  For example, while setting up NIS (client or
server) is not hard, it was so easy to setup in Debian, I barely even had to
think -- just followed a Debian HOWTO.  I remember having more trouble doing
it in Mandrake because, IIRC, it installed NIS, but still required changes
from the "standard" install, whereas the "standard" install for Debian seems
to always leave everything completely ready for use.

> > > The Debian manual has more details, but the above will probably suit
> > > your needs.
> >
> > I've found Debian HOWTOs, but I had never seen a Debian manual.
> > Again, thanks  for pointing that out.
>
> I should have been more specific - I'm referring to the excellent Debian
> Reference Manual by Osamu Aoki. You can find it here:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#quick-reference

I've Googled for  and found a lot of Debian HOWTOs on different topics, so I
can't figure out why I've never been pointed there for any search results
before.

Thank you!  It'll be one of the first places I look from now on (he said as he
cut and pasted the link into a Firefox bookmark).

Hal