Re: Services in Debian

On Sunday 10 April 2005 11:33 pm, Robert Storey wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:25:25 -0400
>
> Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> wrote:
> > Could someone please tell me if my understanding of this is correct?
> >
> > I've noticed that when I apt-get a package, that doesn't mean it will
> > be  started, but if I start a program (like sshd, or some other
> > service  in /etc/init.d/), that it seems to autostart the next time I
> > boot.
> >
> > Is that always true, or am I not seeing the entire picture?
> >
> > Hal
>
> You're not seeing the entire picture. First, if you haven't already done
> so, install rcconf:
>
>   apt-get rcconf

Never heard of it.  Thanks.

> This can be used to set up services so that they do/don't start on
> bootup. However, I've noticed that a few services occasionally don't
> show up in rcconf (not sure why that is). Another option is ksysv (it's
> a graphical services editor under KDE). A third option would be Webmin
> (if you've got it installed).

I use Webmin on a few systems.  I never heard of Ksysv, so thanks for that, as
well.

> You can also do it manually, but that is a nuisance. Basically, you do
> this - to prevent apache from starting:
>
>   update-rc.d apache remove
>
> To add apache back in so it auto-starts again:
>
>   update-rc.d apache defaults

Is this a "Debian" thing?  I've never heard of this before as well, and the
books I read and learned sys admin stuff from were all Red Hat based (and not
one of them mentioned it), so that's why I'm asking

> The Debian manual has more details, but the above will probably suit
> your needs.

I've found Debian HOWTOs, but I had never seen a Debian manual.  Again, thanks
for pointing that out.

A general comment: Maybe it's because I started on Red Hat, then Mandrake,
both RPM based systems, but it took me a LONG time to get used to Debian.
Many times when I, or someone else, asked a question about why something was
done a certain way, it felt like there was a surge of resistance, sort of
the, "We've always done it this way," thing.  Now that I'm more used to it,
I'm surprised at how much easier Debian makes so many things -- like Perl
modules.  Sometimes they can be a pain to make, but all I have to do now is
apt-get them.  I think, though, once any of us has started to get used to
"The Debian Way" (shouldn't there be a fanfare after saying that?), it is
very easy to forget how hard it is for someone new to learn it.  (For
example, I'm sure a lot of what I've gotten used to is because I'm doing a
lot of programming and more in depth admin, instead of just setting up a
simple system or two.)

Just a general observation -- not directed at anyone in particular, yet
everyone in general (I guess), but after you gave me so many suggestions I
hadn't seen, I thought I'd mention it.

Hal