Re: Services in Debian

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 00:08:05 -0400
Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 10 April 2005 11:33 pm, Robert Storey wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:25:25 -0400
> >
> > Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> wrote:
> > > Could someone please tell me if my understanding of this is
> > > correct?
> > >

> > You can also do it manually, but that is a nuisance. Basically, you
> > do this - to prevent apache from starting:
> >
> >   update-rc.d apache remove
> >
> > To add apache back in so it auto-starts again:
> >
> >   update-rc.d apache defaults
>
> Is this a "Debian" thing?  I've never heard of this before as well,
> and the  books I read and learned sys admin stuff from were all Red
> Hat based (and not  one of them mentioned it), so that's why I'm
> asking

Yes, this is Debian specific. Kind of a pity that the major distros
can't agree on a common way to start up services.

> > The Debian manual has more details, but the above will probably suit
> > your needs.
>
> I've found Debian HOWTOs, but I had never seen a Debian manual.
> Again, thanks  for pointing that out.

I should have been more specific - I'm referring to the excellent Debian
Reference Manual by Osamu Aoki. You can find it here:

http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#quick-reference

regards,
Robert