Re: Debian forum?

> Marco Calviani wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>    i would like to know why the Debian community has not created a web
>> forum like Ubuntu has (www.ubuntuforums.org). I think that this way of
>> communicating would have a greater impact on the users, of course
>> leaving always the space for the nice and useful mailing list that the
>> Debian project has.
>>
>> Regards,
>> MC
>
> What do you find to have a "greater impact"?
> higher bandwidth usage?  requirement of an active internet connection?
> subsequent page loads when following a long thread?  A login requirement
> to post?
>
> I really don't get it.  The mailing list is completely searchable and
> easy to use.  I can keep messages locally for as long as I want in a
> convenient format.  Yes I can save a webpage, but it is just silly
> compared to the ease of email.
> I'm really curious, not just trying to be a snot.  What do you like
> about it?
>
> As to why the debian project has not, why should they when Ubuntu is
> already doing it?
>

> --

Hi,
   mine was just a question.... I agree with you for the bandwidth and for
the necessity of a live connetion, but i'm not advocating for a web
forum only.
My point is that, for example, for new users is a LOT easier to go to a
web forum and ask something there instead of a mailing lists, because
there exists sections. In mailing list you receive (is unavoidable) a lot
of unrequested and non necessary threads that may be scaring for a linux
newbie...

Regards,
MC