Re: mount external usb drive at boot

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 23:38 -0400, Hannuman Bull wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 18:57 -0400, Hannuman Bull wrote:
> >

> >>I have an external usb drive that I'm setting up as a backup hd.  I've
> >>partitioned and formatted the drive as ext3.  I can mount the drive
> >>manually at the prompt, but I can't seem to get fstab to mount it
> >>automatically on boot.
> >>
> >>I've changed the /etc/fstab options several times without much success.
> >>Here is my most recent setting:
> >>
> >>    /dev/sdb1   /backuppc   ext3   rw   0   0
> >>

> >Change "rw" to "rw,auto".
> >
> >Since this is a USB drive, and it might not be sdb at some point
> >in the future, you should think about using udev.  Then make a site-
> >specific device name that the system will always map to that drive,
> >no matter where (sd[a-h]) the kernel decides to assign the drive.
> >

> I read up on udev at http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php. Using the
> examples, I was able to create a /dev/usbhd_sg for my specific external
> hd. However, I'm still unable to mount the drive automatically at boot.
> I can still only mount manually.  I changed the /etc/fstab option to
> "rw,auto".
>
> I haven't found anything new in dmesg on the external drive, but I did
> come across the following for my internal SATA hard drive:
>
> Apr  8 17:49:02 edisto kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
> Apr  8 17:49:02 edisto kernel: usbcore: registered new driver hub
> Apr  8 17:49:02 edisto kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
> Apr  8 17:49:02 edisto kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
> Apr  8 17:49:02 edisto kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.
> Apr  8 17:49:02 edisto kernel: SCSI device sda: 390721968 512-byte hdwr
> sectors (200050 MB)
> Apr  8 17:49:02 edisto kernel: SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
> Apr  8 17:49:02 edisto kernel:  /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2
> < p5 p6 p7 >
> Apr  8 17:49:02 edisto kernel: Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel
> 0, id 0, lun 0
> Apr  8 17:49:02 edisto kernel: kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5
> seconds
> Apr  8 17:49:02 edisto kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered
> data mode.
> Apr  8 17:49:02 edisto kernel: Adding 4096532k swap on /dev/sda5.
> Priority:-1 extents:1
> Apr  8 17:49:02 edisto kernel: EXT3 FS on sda6, internal journal
>

> The internal drives seems to be recognized as a USB Mass Storage device
> as well, and the partitions on that drive are being mounted properly as
> ext3.  Any suggestions as to why the external USB drive is not doing the
> same?

Is /dev/usbhd_sg being created during the boot process?

If so, then create a script in /etc/init.d that mounts /backuppc
on "start" and umounts on "stop".  Then make an S99 link in rc2.d
and a K01 link in rc6.d.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"I went home with a waitress the way I always do. How was I to
know she was with the Russians, too?"