Re: mount external usb drive at boot

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 18:57 -0400, Hannuman Bull wrote:
> I have an external usb drive that I'm setting up as a backup hd.  I've
> partitioned and formatted the drive as ext3.  I can mount the drive
> manually at the prompt, but I can't seem to get fstab to mount it
> automatically on boot.
>
> I've changed the /etc/fstab options several times without much success.
> Here is my most recent setting:
>
>     /dev/sdb1   /backuppc   ext3   rw   0   0

Change "rw" to "rw,auto".

Since this is a USB drive, and it might not be sdb at some point
in the future, you should think about using udev.  Then make a site-
specific device name that the system will always map to that drive,
no matter where (sd[a-h]) the kernel decides to assign the drive.

> After boot, /dev/sdb1 is not mounted automatically. However, it does
> mount properly when I manually type 'mount /dev/sdb1'. From 'mount', I get :
>
>     /dev/sdb1 on /backuppc type ext3 (rw)
>

> Just after boot, I get the following from dmesg :
>
> scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
>   Vendor: ST340083  Model: 2A                Rev:  0 0
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> SCSI device sdb: 781422768 512-byte hdwr sectors (400088 MB)
> sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
>  /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
> Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> USB Mass Storage device found at 3
> usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using address 3
> input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech Optical USB Mouse] on
> usb-0000:00:1d.0-2
>

> I'm going to install BackupPC, so the drive needs to be mounted before
> the BackupPC script is run in /etc/inid.d/ .  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"The mistakes made by Congress wouldn't be so bad if the next
Congress didn't keep trying to correct them."
Cullen Hightower