Re: copy partition from a remote server

On Apr 8, 2005 11:59 PM, Frederic Guillet <fguillet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i want to run a daily back-up of an entire HD (160GO) remotely.
>
> Do you know any tool that can perform this on an incremental basis?

Assuming the backup machine has ssh access on the server you can do this:

rsync -av /path/you/want/backed/up username@backupserver:/path/to/backup/to

the -av means "archive, verbose" take away the v if you don't want to
see anything.
It'll ask for the password everytime, unless you setup ssh keys
properly (I can't really explain how to do this off the top of my
head)

Basically, if you use rsync, your backup location will always have an
exact match of the files (including files that have been removed on
the server, as rsync isn't told to "remove missing files"

rsync is much more powerful than just a big tarball and sending of
upto 160gb. now, if you actually want daily snapshots - with
historical file tracking - that's a bit more tricky :)

--
~ Darryl  ~ smartssa@gmail.com
http://smartssa.com / http://darrylclarke.com