Re: copy partition from a remote server

According to Andrew Schulman,
> > Hi List!
> >
> > The problem is the following:
> >
> > The remote machine (sarge) has a hdd with 5GB data.
> > It's accessible via ssh over the web.
> > I want to make a partition backup from it to a hdd in my office
> > to be able to replace the remote hdd with the backup one if the remote
> > hdd crashes (and no other installation is required).
> > I know that dd can do it locally.
> > But how to backup the hdd image remotely?
> > Bandwith is no problem ( for me :) )
>
> scp remote:/dev/hdd hdd.img ?

Use rsync instead, if you can.  If sometime in the next
several hours you have a network failure, just issue the
rsync command again and it will pick up where it left off.

E.g...

  rsync -e 'ssh -C -c blowfish' -v user@remote:/dev/hddd hdd.img

or for newer versions, ssh is the default...

  rsync -vz user@remote:/dev/hddd hdd.img