Re: Annoying problem with GTK apps

In article <[🔎] 200504081812.52515.chromewave@gmail.com>,
Piero Piutti  <chromewave@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>I have recently moved to Debian Sarge from "another" distro and I like it a
>lot, besides a few problems that I'm trying to fix on the way.
>
>One of these is one related to GTK apps: every time I try to run one from the
>console as root I receive the same error. For istance, if I try to run
>Synaptics this happens:
>
>adam:~# synaptic
>
>(synaptic:17058): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

You're running applications from the console and expect that they
be started in your X enviroment ?

Do you mean "a terminal emulator" such as xterm instead of console?
In that case, how are you getting a root prompt ? If you use "su",
try "su -m" - that keeps the environent, and homedir, and thus
the X credentials.

Mike.