Re: X.org

Gene Heskett wrote:

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 08:47, John Hasler wrote:
Michel Di Croci writes:
How much devs are currently developping debian?
Most of us don't know enough about X to be any use.  Of those that
do some have chosen to participate in the X team.  No one assigns
jobs to Debian developers.
--
John Hasler

Well, FWIW, I downloaded 6.8.1 from x.org when they released it (once the got the versions all lined up in a row that is) and built it here exactly as the instructions say. In a relatively short time for a large project, I had it ready to do a make install, which I did.

AFAIAC, this is the first, truely bulletproof X I've ever had here, and it does several things XFree's didn't. I can now play tuxracer on the generic drivers for my ati video card and it doesn't crash on quitting, which required a reset reboot before, and tuxracer runs at full speed, about 30x faster than before, and oh, it doesn't crash. I can have translucent windows and other such eye candy. Did I mention it hasn't crashed? Not yet in 4-5 months anyway.

Now, I've no idea how long it would take to make a .deb out of it, and frankly, for system specific stuff, nothing, absolutely nothing, beats building it on the system its going to run on IMO.

So whats your holdup? If an old fart of 70 like me can do it, why can't you? Yes, they do things a bit differently, but follow their directions and I think you'll find that it Just Works(TM).

ok gene, that 's the spirit: i'm 62 and got X running fine too. so i guess some youngsters must learn not to quit too soon.

steef