Re: Installing Debian on 3Ware SATA RAID5 (Was: Using Knoppix to install Debian)

Curtis Vaughan wrote:

On 5 avr. 05, at 18:00, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

Curtis Vaughan wrote:

When trying to install Debian 3.0 on a new server we just bought, I
discovered that support for a 3ware SATA RAID Card was no compiled

into

the distro (i.e., I couldn't install). After looking through forums

and

considering how to compile the drivers into the kernel, I realized I
could give Knoppix a spin.

Knoppix installed no problem. I have already removed from sources.list
all knoppix related sites and set everything for Debian stable. I've
removed pretty much every package that is Knoppix related, as well as
all X11 related packages.

Bad idea.

So, my first question is: how Debian is my box really?

Not sure.

Second question: will I wack the whole thing if I upgrade to 2.6

kernel?

Or do I need to download the source kernel, compile in the driver and
then install it?

If you need newer stuff, boot with a Knoppix CD, but install actual
Debian (Google search for Debian chroot install).  If you are using
Woody and want kernel 2.6, then use the backports.org kernel (or at
least their module-init-tools, which are required for 2.6 kernels).
You can always roll your own kernel.

Wait a minute.
Here's an unasked question. Is it possible that I need to just update my
install disk and I can just do a straight Debian install?

That is possible, ff the new Sarge installer supports the hardware.
However, in that case, you are installing Sarge and not Woody.  That
may or may not be what you want, depending on your stability/security
requirements and how much time you have to maintain your server(s).

Assuming that that is not possible:
What are my options?

Since the Knoppix distro will install and run on my system and since it
is Debian based, I was hoping this idea might work. Let's say I have to
do as Roberto implies.

Whereas Debian doesn't have the drivers in the kernel, I would first
have to compile a kernel with the modules  and then do a chroot install,
right?

You can compile the kernel first in Knoppix and copy it to your chroot
environment (Knoppix has kernel-package and the necessary -dev libs).
You can also install everything inside the chroot (except the kernel)
and compile from within there (which is what I recommend, so that you
end up with a kernel compiled with the same version of gcc as your
libc).

But whereas I don't know whether I will have compiled them in right,
then there is the risk that after performing the chroot install, I am
still left with a system that can't boot?

Possibly.  The beauty of using Knoppix, is that you can use the tools
at your disposal (namely the list of modules loaded by Knoppix and the
commands, such as lspci, that give you info on the hardware).  This
way you can check everything out in detail while the chroot install is
going on and you are preparing to compile your kernel.  If, for some
reason, the system fails to boot you can just boot Knoppix again and
then fix it.

Wouldn't it be therefore easier to somehow first compile a new kernel
with the necessary driver and try to install with it? Of course, I have
no idea how to do that, yet...

That would require modifying a .iso (or creating a custom boot floppy).
This is certainly doable and it gives you the assurance that your kernel
works (i.e., if the install disk fails to boot, you won't have the
opportunity install a non-working kernel).  But, you will need to Google
search for some information on it and the process of custumizing an
install CD image is non-trivial.

Curtis

-Roberto

--