re: Xorg

Installation from source is slow but painless.

Installation using the new DRI trunk packages is quick and easy. They install
over Xfree which remains intact so one can make /etc/X11/X point to whatever
you wish. Unfortunately, their Xorg did not work on my system but has worked
on others.

Anyway, the gdk errors keeping xmms and other from running are recent Xfree
upgrade problems which are why I would like to have Xorg up and running. The
slowness of Tuxracer simply means OpenGL is not working. DRI must be enabled
and this may require additional packages. The DRI trunk DRM module for my
sound card works just fine in Xfree but did not work in the backported Xorg.