Installing Debian on 3Ware SATA RAID5 (Was: Using Knoppix to install Debian)

On 5 avr. 05, at 18:00, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

Curtis Vaughan wrote:
When trying to install Debian 3.0 on a new server we just bought, I
discovered that support for a 3ware SATA RAID Card was no compiled
into
the distro (i.e., I couldn't install). After looking through forums
and
considering how to compile the drivers into the kernel, I realized I
could give Knoppix a spin.

Knoppix installed no problem. I have already removed from sources.list
all knoppix related sites and set everything for Debian stable. I've
removed pretty much every package that is Knoppix related, as well as
all X11 related packages.

Bad idea.

So, my first question is: how Debian is my box really?

Not sure.

Second question: will I wack the whole thing if I upgrade to 2.6
kernel?
Or do I need to download the source kernel, compile in the driver and
then install it?

If you need newer stuff, boot with a Knoppix CD, but install actual
Debian (Google search for Debian chroot install).  If you are using
Woody and want kernel 2.6, then use the backports.org kernel (or at
least their module-init-tools, which are required for 2.6 kernels).
You can always roll your own kernel.

Wait a minute.
Here's an unasked question. Is it possible that I need to just update my install disk and I can just do a straight Debian install?

Assuming that that is not possible:
What are my options?

Since the Knoppix distro will install and run on my system and since it is Debian based, I was hoping this idea might work. Let's say I have to do as Roberto implies.

Whereas Debian doesn't have the drivers in the kernel, I would first have to compile a kernel with the modules and then do a chroot install, right?

But whereas I don't know whether I will have compiled them in right, then there is the risk that after performing the chroot install, I am still left with a system that can't boot?

Wouldn't it be therefore easier to somehow first compile a new kernel with the necessary driver and try to install with it? Of course, I have no idea how to do that, yet...

Curtis