Re: gdm fails to start

Alban Browaeys wrote:
Le Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:37:46 -0400, Michael Spang a écrit :

I have a system on which gdm refuses to start. The X server starts each time, seemingly successfully, then quits before gdm displays. This

Do you have anything related to gnome/x in /usr/local ?
I guess so; see below.
Does your /etc/hosts contains:
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
yep

Do you have meaningfull errors report on the console if as root you start
gdm from the command line ?
nope

Have you changed your /etc/inittab to add more consoles ?
nope

Or is this a vanilla installation ?
nope

Cheers
Alban

Aha! There were umpty billion truetype fonts in /usr/local/share/fonts that upon removing gdm works. I'm sure they are there for a reason, yet I'm not keen on trying them one at a time to see which break gdm. Any insights on this?

Thanks for the great suggestions!

Michael Spang