Re: yahoo instant messenger (im)

hja123 wrote:

In the yahoo website, it is mentioned the im is available as package ymessenger for woody, to download and install with 'dpkg -i'. I am running 'sarge' and prefer to install it with 'apt-get install'. I tried but failed. apt-cache search could not locate any ymessenger package. Is there a way around it?

hja123

"dpkg" creates, manages, and installs packages, but doesn't actually retrieve them itself. "apt" retrieves them, then launches "dpkg" to install them. "apt", however, can only retrive packages if they are in your repository. By default, the only repositories apt will access are for the Debian distro itself (Which happens to be among the largest collections of software in the world). Even in the non-free section ymessenger isn't in the debian archive, however (Checked it myself). You'll have to download the archive manually.

You'll notice that the yahoo site shows THREE steps. You're starting on step 2... step one is "Save this file to your machine". You might also want to consider other options. I use GAIM and Kopete alot, mostly because they allow me to manage multiple accounts on multiple protocols (ex. I be logged in with one Yahoo account, one AIM account, and two MSN accounts, and only have to deal with one messenger window =D). In my expirience the open-source IMs don't have all the flashy features of their official Windows counterparts, with their bouncing emoticons, laughing avatars, background images, and webcam support, among others, but the OSS IMs are always happy to support multiple accounts under multiple protocols simultaniously, while competition keeps the official ones from merging, 'cept in a buy out.

      Anyway, that's my two cents.
         SigmaX