benefits of invoke-rc.d (was: Re: unsubscribe)

Brendon Lloyd Higgins wrote:
Bob Alexander wrote (Tuesday 05 April 2005 6:18 pm):

Brendon Lloyd Higgins wrote:

/etc/init.d/clueless-twit-theory start

No, no, no!

invoke-rc.d clueless-twit-theory start

Do it the Debian Way (TM). ;)

Peace,
Brendon

Howdy Brendon.

What is the advantage of using invoke-rc.d as opposed to using the
/etc/init.d/SCRIPT PARAM as I always did ?

You know, I'm not entirely sure what the reasoning is. The invoke-rc.d manpage says "All access to the init scripts by Debian packages' maintainer scripts should be done through invoke-rc.d." But I guess that doesn't really apply to end-users.

Chances are it makes no difference at all. I'm just being argumentative. :D Hopefully someone else can explain why I've been using it instead. I can't.

- A single entry point to make sure that vital environment variables are sane. Could look elsewhere than /etc/init.d for scripts. (e.g. /usr/local/etc to make FreeBSD'ers feel at home).

- invoke-rc.d could be aliased to 'service' (e.g. to make redhatters feel at home).

- less typing (ok, ok, one less char, but less fiddly dots and slashes all the same -- and in some keyboard layouts dots and slashes need a shift modifier to get them).

David