Re: If I track testing, what happens when testing becomes stable?

John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> writes:

> Andy writes:
>> So I am thinking of changing my system to track testing instead of
>> stable. But before I do so, I wanted to check how it will work when the
>> current testing becomes stable.
>
> You will notice no change.  Packages will continue to flow into Testing
> from Unstable.
>
>> When this happens, should I change my apt sources back to point to
>> stable?  And then apt-get update as usual?
>
> Right now the labels Sarge and Testing point to the same thing, while
> Stable points to the Woody archive.  When the release occurs the effect
> from your point of view will be that a copy of Testing as it exists at that
> point in time will be created and the labels Sarge and Stable pointed to
> it.
>
> Thus if you want to continue to track Testing after the release point at
> Testing and be happy.  If you want to track Testing until the release and
> then use Sarge (which will be Stable then) point at Sarge.

As a fairly new Debian user, that was an issue that troubled me too. I.e.
after install, my sources pointed to testing, but my idea was to eventually
have the stable sarge release and keep that.

Then looking at my mirror, i recognized that sarge currently is just a
(sym)link to testing. So what I thought would happen, and take your mail
as a confirmation of that, is that once sarge is released, that link will
change to point at stable instead.

According to that reasoning, I changed my sources to point to sarge instead of
testing to accomplish my initial goal, i.e. stay on sarge once it becomes
stable.

That right?

Regards, Bruno.