Re: If I track testing, what happens when testing becomes stable?

Nicos Gollan wrote:
On Monday April 4 2005 14:44, andy@besy.co.uk wrote:

So I am thinking of changing my system to track testing instead of
stable. But before I do so, I wanted to check how it will work when the
current testing becomes stable.

When this happens, should I change my apt sources back to point to
stable? And then apt-get update as usual?

You can always track testing. If you're going for testing or unstable, you'll never really have to bother what's becoming what. Packages filter from unstable into testing, and every so seldom, testing will be frozen for a time and then branched into stable. After the new stable is out, testing will again be continously updated.

<rant>
The freezes seem to coincide with major KDE releases so that stable is one version late and testing is stuck at the old version for some time. After testing is unfrozen, all hell breaks loose.
</rant>

Of course, running testing on a production box has some caveats. For one, there's always the risk of getting some broken packages that slipped through unstable for some reason. Also, security updates are primarily made for stable and might take some time to reach unstable or testing.

If you can afford some minor glitches from time to time and feel able enough to have an eye on security issues yourself, going back to testing should be rather unnecessary.

Thank you all very much for your answers. I am now much clearer about how it works.

Thanks, Andy