Re: kernel-2.6.8 Scanner Support?

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:00:17 +0200, Thomas H. George wrote:

> Make menuconfig for the 2.4.26 kernel includes an option to select usb
> scanner support and xsane finds and operates my Epson Perfection 2000
> PHOTO scanner when the bzImage is built with this scanner option.
>
> Make menuconfig for the 2.6.8 kernel includes only an option to select
> usb microteck scanner support and xsane cannot cannot find my scanner
> when using a 2.6.8 kernel image.
>
> less /proc/bus/usb/devices lists the scanner.  lsmod shows no scanner
> module and modprobe scanner reports FATAL: module scanner not found.
>
> There also seems to be a hotplug problem with the 2.6.8 image as there
> are repeated ep0 timeout messages on bootup and the systems hangs on
> shutdown or the removal of a usb storage device.
>
> Is there something missing in my .config file?  Or is there another
> solution?
>
> Tom George

as of the 2.6.* kernels, you no longer can use the 'scanner' module, the
2.4.* versions do.  You need to make sure that you have libusb installed
this will be the connection method your scanner uses.  After libusb is
installed and working, if the scanner module is loaded, you will have to
unload it.  Then your scanner should connect fine.
You should be able to run a sane-find-scanner and the output will show
your scanner device something like "found usb scanner (vendor=<hexvalue>),
product=<hexvalue>) at libusb:003:003" or something similar.  If you are
having trouble, you need to know what backend your scanner uses with sane
and you may have to edit that <backendname>.conf file appropriatly,
pointing it to the "libusb:00?:00?" value you got from sane-find-scanner.
Then if running "scanimage -L" returns your scanner you should be in
business.
Sometimes at this point the only problem you run into is the scanner does
not work as regular user, and only as root.  This is obviously a
permission issue.

Regards,
Brad

.