Re: How to stop SSH doing reverse lookup?

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 10:26:19AM -0800, Chuk Goodin wrote:
> putting SSH: <ComputerX hostname> in hosts.allow
> putting ALL: <ComputerX hostname> in hosts.allow

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the hosts.*
files only apply to those daemons running under inetd -- and
I don't believe sshd is one of those.

> putting "ReverseMappingCheck no" in my sshd_config (got a log message
> saying that had been deprecated)

See the man page for sshd_config(5):

     UseDNS  Specifies whether sshd should lookup the remote host name and
	     check that the resolved host name for the remote IP address maps
	     back to the very same IP address.	The default is ``yes''.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org