RE: Automatic Revision Control.

On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 21:11 -0800, David Christensen wrote:
> Eric van der Paardt wrote:
> > What I want to do is basically check the list of files on a regular
> > basis, if the file checked is different then the one I already know
> > about, grab a copy of it and save it someplace, preserving a history
> > of revisions.
>
> Is there such a thing as a versioning file system for Linux; something like
> VAX/VMS had?  (For those not familiar, VAX/VMS files had a version number
> appended to the end.

While the VAX has gone to the CPU Heaven, I'm glad to be abl to
report that VMS is still alive and kicking, on both the Alpha and
now Itaniac2.

>                      When you first created a file, it was "foo.txt;1".  Each
> time you saved it, a new copy was created with an incremented suffix:
> "foo.txt;2", "foo.txt;3", etc..  Periodically, you needed to run a purge command
> to clean out all the old copies.)

Unless the Evil, Anal SysAdmin does a
$ SET FILE/VERSION_LIMIT=x FOO.BAR

And no, unlike the FSF long options, options (called qualifiers in
VMS) can be shortened quite substantially, so that you can type as
little (as from a command line) to as much (as when writing a script
that will be in production in a large shop) as you want.

For example, DCL (Digital Command Language) accepts all these forms
of the same command:
$ SET FI/VE=3 FOO.BAR
$ SET FILE/VERS=3 FOO.BAR
$ SET FILE/VERSION=3 FOO.BAR