Re: How to stop SSH doing reverse lookup?

2005. április 2. 20:30,
Stephen R Laniel <steve@laniels.org>
-> Chuk Goodin <chukgoodin@gmail.com>,debian-user@lists.debian.org:
> On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 10:26:19AM -0800, Chuk Goodin wrote:
> > putting SSH: <ComputerX hostname> in hosts.allow
> > putting ALL: <ComputerX hostname> in hosts.allow
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the hosts.*
> files only apply to those daemons running under inetd -- and
> I don't believe sshd is one of those.
This is not quite right. Programs compiled with tcpwrapper support are using
the hosts* files. sshd under debian is one of those programs.
Inetd is using the tcpwrapper libraries if correctly configured.
ie.: a line from inetd.conf
netbios-ssn     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/smbd

You see it starts tcpd, which calls smbd. Tcpd is linked against libwrap, and
it is using the tcpwrapper library.

Daniel

--
LeVA