Re: LDAP move from server to server

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 02:33:09PM -0800, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> Can anyone give me any tips on how I might move an LDAP server from a
> RH8 server to an LDAP server on a Debian server?

Presumably you're using OpenLDAP on both? If that is the case, it might
just be a matter of dumping the LDAP database to an LDIF file on the
Redhat machine, copying it across to the Debian machine, and then

Eg:

Redhat machine:

1) Stop the ldap server

2) Dump the database:

# slapcat -l /var/tmp/data.ldif

(Assuming you have enough space in /var/tmp to hold this file)

Debian machine:

3) If slapd is running, stop it.

4) Remove any files under /var/lib/ldap/ from previous LDAP instances (
backing anything important up first).

5) Compare the slapd.conf files on each machine, make adjustments where
necessary (eg, attribute indexing, etc).

6) Copy the file /var/tmp/data.ldif across to the Debian machine

7) Load it into the database:

slapadd -l /var/tmp/data.ldif

7) Restart slapd

This has all assumed that the schema used on both the Redhat and Debian
machines is the same. If they are different, then you'll get errors
during the ldif loading and the job will be much more complex. You'll
have to go and read up on OpenLDAP schemas, if that's the case.

If you're using another LDAP server (eg, Netscape/Iplanet), then the
job is going to be even more difficult again. It can definitely be done
(I've moved a system with 1 million+ users from Netscape to Openldap, in
the past), but there's a lot of messing around.

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Dwerryhouse				| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584