Re: mutt won't send emails, kmail does

Am 2005-03-28 13:36:14, schrieb geoffthur@ntlworld.com:
> Hello list,
>
> I've switched to using mutt, but I can't get it to send emails. It's a
> new install of sarge, and is bang up to date. Kmail does send emails -
> including this one. I don't seem to be able to send local mail either -

Question:

Does 'kmail' have its own "smtp" machine like 'mozilla' or does it
use exim ?

Under 'mutt' I use:

        set sendmail="/usr/sbin/ssmtp"
or
        set sendmail="/usr/sbin/ssmtp -au user -ap secret"

> or if I can I can't see where they are going. I've tried mailing root,

So you have exim not configured...
Does
        dpkg-reconfigure exim
help ?

> but have tried postfix also. netstat -lpetu shows exim4 to be
> listening.

hmmm...

> My .muttrc looks like this:
>
> set folder=~/Mail
> set sendmail="/usr/sbin/exim4"
                          ^^^^^
        and with "/usr/sbin/exim" ?

> At one stage I was getting an error message when I tried to send emails,
> but I forgot to write down the error, and can't remember how I got rid
> of it. Currently the mail claims to have been sent, but doesn't go
> anywhere apart from the outbox folder, where the copies are going. When
> I start kmail it finds them all and wants to send them. I have been
> changing things backward and forward for days now, and have googled and
> RTFMed in vain. Surely kmail would use exim4? In which case the problem

On <debian-user-german> I have read it does not use an external MTA.

> is in how I have set mutt up? I'm confused, and know the answer must be
> blindingly obvious.

I do not know how to configure exim, but it seems to be misconfigured.

> Sorry if I've failed to give enough info for you to help.

Better you try it with 'mutt' again and write the error message down.

> Geoff

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi