<Solved> Well, sort of. Was Re: mutt won't send emails, kmail does

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 07:24:52PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:

> Am 2005-03-28 13:36:14, schrieb geoffthur@ntlworld.com:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I've switched to using mutt, but I can't get it to send emails. It's a
> > new install of sarge, and is bang up to date. Kmail does send emails -
> > including this one. I don't seem to be able to send local mail either -
>
> Question:
>
> Does 'kmail' have its own "smtp" machine like 'mozilla' or does it
> use exim ?

I thought it used exim, but now think not. sudo apt-cache show kmail
doesn't reveal any dependency on any MTA at all. I'm not sure whether
I'm reading too much into that.

> Under 'mutt' I use:
>
>         set sendmail="/usr/sbin/ssmtp"
> or
>         set sendmail="/usr/sbin/ssmtp -au user -ap secret"

Great; thank you. I installed ssmtp and gave it a try. It sent stuff out
okay, but it took me a few hours to work out how to actually get mail
back. It doesn't seem to bother with .forward; it's simply a question of
putting mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d geoff" into .fetchmailrc, isn't it? In
fact, I suppose ssmtp isn't doing anything during mail retrieval at all.
Or is it? Not that it matters - I can now send and receive mail, and am
happy. I managed to lose a few emails because I hadn't got the
-d geoff part in there, but it's fine now. Thank you for your kind help,
Michelle.

<rest snipped>

Cheers,

Geoff