Re: bootlogd ceased to function

Bob Alexander wrote:
Today almost by chance I noticed that the last /var/log/boot files dates back to Feb 15th (my machine is a laptop and boots > daily).

I launched sudo sh -x /etc/init.d/bootlogd start and got the following error (?):

Starting Bootlog daemon: + '[' -d /proc/1/. ']'
+ umask 027
+ start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /sbin/bootlogd -- -r
bootlogd: cannot find console device 136:0 in /dev
+ echo bootlogd.
bootlogd.
+ exit 0

What does that mean ? Should I report this as a sysvinit package bug ??? Little bit scared by the number of bugs dating years(s) :(

My system is udev based (sid unstable with no upgrades pending as I write).

TIA,
Bob

Found a bug describing my problem. It is almost one year old :( :(

Here is the conclusion of the package mantainer, so I guess I am lost :( What a pity since it has worked well for a couple of months !

Bob

Right now I'm taking the following stance on this: bootlogd
is off by default because it simply doesn't work on all
the various setups out there. If it works for you, great.
If it doesn't, tough ... basically bootlogd is a hack and
getting it to work reliably needs kernel support. Someone
needs to put in work for that, and if a future kernel does
get better support for bootlogd it will take 4 years for
that kernel to become the default in Debian installs. So,
don't hold your breath ...

Mike.