Re: apt-get problems.

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 12:07:21AM +0100, Maurits van Rees wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 10:28:24AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

[no quotes from Gene, but since he's in the thread, I'll include his
name]

> Work with the system, not against the system.  When you install a
> tarball you probably know what you are doing. So you probably know
> what libraries or other programs your tarball depends upon. Then make
> a Debian package out of it! It need not be that hard, though I have
> never done it myself. Even a dummy package may be enough: create a
> package that has no content, but does depend on the libraries that
> your tarball depends upon. Or if you have some packages that you need
> to keep installed but that depend on a removed package, you could make
> a dummy package that Provides that removed package. Apt will be happy
> because all dependencies are solved and you will be happy because your
> packages are not on the extermination list anymore.
>
> Does anyone know a tool that makes this easy?

I have it installed but have never used it, but doesn't the "equivs"
package do this?  AIUI, it will build an empty "dummy" package that
"claims" to satisfy the dependencies that are required.

I'd say that the most correct way, however, would be to build a real
.deb with your source and then uninstallation or upgrading would be much
simpler.  With an "equivs" setup, you'd have to remove all your
self-installed files yourself in addition to the dummy package.