Re: apt-get problems.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:06:09 -0500
Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:

> >Checkinstall let's you supply name and version information.
> >
> >In most cases you should be able to supply a name and version that
> > fits the Debian scheme for the particular package. For cases where
> > where this may not work, equivs gives you some extra options.
> >
> >Later, Seeker
>
> Which, for some unk reason, doesn't seem to apply to the rpm versions.
> I used it to install cups-1.1.21, and apt-get seems to be adament in
> wanting to overwrite it with the 'newer' 1.1.19, which does something
> to kill kde when you just hover the mouse over anything kprint
> related in the menu's.
>
> I've no idea what that was, only that as of cups-1.1.21 and up, its no
> longer a problem.

If you throw rpm in to the mix all bets are off, and if you are using
checkinstall to create an rpm for a Debian system then what's up with
that.? ;)

My usage of alien is pretty rare. My usage of equivs and checkinstall
are not all that common either for the record.

I am thinking if you used alien to install an rpm for cups and dpkg,
dselect, whatever packaging tool gets the job done for you, shows a
package named cups-1.1.21 is installed with no version information, then
equivs should be able to be used to create a dummy that specifically
depends on cups-1.1.21 and supplies the correct information to keep the
older Debian package from being pulled in.

My usage of rpm based systems is pretty minimal. Around the time when
Redmond Linux change their named to Lycoris I tried that distrobution
and used it a fair amount for a few months. It reminded me of why after
going from SuSe to Corel to Debian I never looked back.

Later, Seeker