Re: apt-get problems.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 03:47:04AM -0800, mike holden wrote:
> I'm trying to use apt-get to update my Debian system.
>  When I do I get a 404 error for this IP address
> 216.37.55.114. When I try and apt-get -u upgrade. I
> get a Segmentation Faulty tree 0% and nothing happens.
> I've only used Slackware and never had the pleasure of
> using apt-get. any help would be appreciated. Thank
> you :)

apt-get, lovely tool.

Look at the extra info you can find in the ATP-Howto;
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html

First of all, you need to tell apt what locations you wish to use,
and that's done by editting the /etc/apt/sources.list (chapter 2.1)
later on, when you got an mirror you can use, and you got rid of
the 404 errors, the apt-get update && apt-get upgrade will run
smoothly, and you can take a peak at netselect-apt if you wish
(chapter 2.3).

Read thru the howto, and keep it handy whenever you find yourself
in a situation where apt is calling the shots.

Good luck,

 ,Mark