Re: debian testing and mdadm

On Saturday 26 March 2005 08:18 pm, Adam Olsen wrote:
> Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > mdadm is a program all unto itself, so I wouldn't just substitute mdadm
> > for raidtools.  There are a number of tutorials on the web for mdadm
> > which are VERY easy to follow.  Just google for "+mdadm +linux +tutorial"
> > and you should have no problem making sure it's set up right.  If you set
> > it up right, then it will start automatically.
>
> I see plenty of tutorials, just not ones that give information on how to
> have your root partition in the raid.

I've noticed that when I stop a mdadm device, that BOTH drives are still
easily accessible and are fully intact.  I don't know if this is doable, but
it might be possible to boot off one partition, let it get going, and when it
mounts the raid, it'll update the 2nd disk to match the first, then you can
just chroot to the mdadm device with the last line of your last startup
script.

It might be too complex, but it's an idea.  Just a thought for now...

Hal