Re: How does Athlon 64 compare under linux to Pentiums ?

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 10:39 +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:
> Clive Menzies wrote:
> > On (25/03/05 04:29), Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> >>On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 10:23 +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:
[snip]

> > Have a look at debian-amd64 mailing list.  The how to is:
> > https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html#id220463
> >
> > Setting up the chroot is pretty straightforward (it is the first time
> > I'd dabbled in chroot).  To sum up, the system flies ;)
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Clive
> >

> Clive a Ron thank you. Happy Easter to you and your beloved.
>
> What does chroot have to do ? In my abysnal ignorance chroot was a way
> to fence a process in a subset of the original filesystem, like in some
> FTP servers for instance ... I will research on google :)

That's exactly what it does.

Typically, chroots are used for:
- security (cracker who compromises an ftpd can't get at anything else)
- shared servers at co-location sites

Well, some clever soul thought outside the box, and realized that
chroot would also be useful for 32-bit binaries on AMD64 systems.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Peace has its victories no less than war, but it doesn't have as
many monuments to unveil."
Kin Hubbard