Re: How does Athlon 64 compare under linux to Pentiums ?

On (25/03/05 04:29), Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 10:23 +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:
> > A friend of mine wants to build a system with:
> >
> > 1) Athlon 64 3500+
> >
> > 2) DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR (nVidia nFroce4 chipset IIRC)
> >
> > How do these critters fare under Linux ?
>
> Sounds like a winner to me.  Go read, though, the debian-amd64
> archives.  Anything that's tied[1] to 32 bits won't be able to
> run, or will have to run a chroot.  There are supposed to be simple
> instructions to do this, but I've never seen them.
>
> [1] A partial list.  You may not care about any or all of them.
> ndiswrapper
> w32codecs
> OpenOffice.org 1.1
> Acroread
> Shockwave Plugin
> Java Plugin for Mozilla
> Wine/Crossover Office.
> Certain binary NIC & wireless drivers
Have a look at debian-amd64 mailing list.  The how to is:
https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html#id220463

Setting up the chroot is pretty straightforward (it is the first time
I'd dabbled in chroot).  To sum up, the system flies ;)

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...