New Kernel Boot Problems

Before re-installing my system, I found an nVidia card to put in (it had been
using on-board video).  The kernel on this install was 2.6.7 (I'm using Mepis
in this case).  To install the nVidia drivers, I need the kernel headers, and
I have not been able to find any kernel headers for this version (for
2.6.8.1, i can, but not 2.6.7).  So I decided, since I've never been able to
successfully compile a kernel, I'd try that.  I've been using a Debian Kernel
Compile HOWTO
(http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/debian_kernel2.6_compile/index.php), and it
compiled with out errors and the proper files ended up in /boot.  The problem
is that this system has Grub on it (I've worked with Lilo, but never Grub
before).  I went through all the steps up until I had to edit lilo.conf, then
I looked up the online manual for Grub.  I created a menu entry, did
grub-update, then within grub, I did "root (hd0,0)" and "setup
(hd0,0)" (which aren't in the original Grub instructions).  I still cannot
get this kernel to boot.  I keep getting:

Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (3,1).

I've looked this up, which is how I found out about running grub-update and
using the root and setup commands.  It hasn't made any difference.  I have
another kernel (2.6.7) that boots fine on this system, but I can't get the
2.6.8.1 to boot.

I know compiling a kernel to fix a video card is like going around my fingers
to get to my elbow, but I figured it was a chance to learn how to do it.  I
didn't change any options (other than enabling automount) in the setup.  Any
ideas appreciated.  I've included the first part of the menu.lst from grub
below (a lot of it is keyboard mappings, which I skipped.)

Thanks!

Hal
menu.lst:

efault saved
timeout 15
color cyan/blue white/blue
foreground ffffff
background 2f5178
splashimage /boot/grub/mepis.xpm.gz

title MEPIS at hda1, kernel 2.6.7
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7 root=/dev/hda1 nomce psmouse.proto=imps
quiet splash=verbose vga=791
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.mepis
savedefault

title MEPIS at hda1, kernel 2.4.26
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26 root=/dev/hda1 nomce quiet splash=verbose
vga=791 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.mepis
savedefault

title Hal at hda1, kernel 2.6.8.1
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/hda1 nomce quiet
psmouse.proto=imps quiet splash=verbose vga=791
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.8.1
savedefault

title Windows at hdb1
rootnoverify (hd1,0)