Re: New Kernel Boot Problems

On Friday 25 March 2005 05:21 am, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> Before re-installing my system, I found an nVidia card to put in (it had
> been using on-board video).  The kernel on this install was 2.6.7 (I'm
> using Mepis in this case).  To install the nVidia drivers, I need the
> kernel headers, and I have not been able to find any kernel headers for
> this version (for 2.6.8.1, i can, but not 2.6.7).  So I decided, since I've
> never been able to successfully compile a kernel, I'd try that.  I've been
> using a Debian Kernel Compile HOWTO
> (http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/debian_kernel2.6_compile/index.php), and
> it compiled with out errors and the proper files ended up in /boot.  The
> problem is that this system has Grub on it (I've worked with Lilo, but
> never Grub before).  I went through all the steps up until I had to edit
> lilo.conf, then I looked up the online manual for Grub.  I created a menu
> entry, did grub-update, then within grub, I did "root (hd0,0)" and "setup
> (hd0,0)" (which aren't in the original Grub instructions).  I still cannot
> get this kernel to boot.  I keep getting:
>
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (3,1).

I found out that when I run update-grub, it creates automatic entries at the
bottom of menu.lst (Mepis has enough entries I didn't see these originally).
One time I booted and selected the entry update-grub made for my kernel.
This time I could see the boot process and I got this:

RAMDISK: cramfs filesystem found at block 0
RAMDISK: Loading 3248 blocks [1 disk into ram disk... done]
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (3,1).

Is there any way to tell if this error has to do with the initrd fs (since it
was just loaded), or the kernel trying to access the hard drive fs
on /dev/hda1 (to which it is booting)?

Thanks.

Hal