thunderbird: set default browser, file types for attachnents, ...

Using Thunderbird V1.0 (20050116), with debian testing, Firefox (Debian package 1.0+dfsg.1-6) Epipheny, and mozilla installed, gnome 2.8:

I'd like to set thunderbird to use firefox as the browser to open
links in mail messages, but can't find any setting in preferences for
this.  It always uses Epipheny.

There are also problems in handling attachments:
- I can't see how to control how thunderbird handles attachments
for different file types.  From Preferences -> Attachments there
is a File Types panel (empty) but I can't type anything in there
and there's no Add button.

- When I try to save an attachment, I don't get a directory window
to choose where to save the file.

- With email digests that bundle items as attachments, the display of attachment
names doesn't scroll, but rather takes up the majority of the mail
window, rendering it unreadable.

Are there any solutions to these?

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly@yorku.ca