Re: can't change the resolution

Angelina Carlton wrote on 25.03.2005 14:02:
| On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 12:15:29PM +0000, Yehia Mowiena wrote:
|
|>I had installed the debian on my VAIO notebook model PCG-FX370 but the
|>screen resolution is 640*480 and no other available resolutions can't be
|>choosen the vga card is intel 815
|>the best resolution to my lcd is 1024*768
|>please help me as i am a new user
|
| It will help to post the relevant part of your /etc/X11/XF86config

| file.
Which is usually called XF86Config-4 from XFree84 v4 on.

| You can reconfigure X with the command: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
This will definitely be the safest bet, but just to give you a hint the
appropriate section should look something like this on your machine:

Section "Screen"
~        Identifier      "Default Screen"
~        Device          "Generic Video Card"
~        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
~        DefaultDepth    24
~        SubSection "Display"
~                Depth           8
~                Modes           "1024x768" "800x600"
~        EndSubSection
~        SubSection "Display"
~                Depth           15
~                Modes           "1024x768" "800x600"
~        EndSubSection
~        SubSection "Display"
~                Depth           16
~                Modes           "1024x768" "800x600"
~        EndSubSection
~        SubSection "Display"
~                Depth           24
~                Modes           "1024x768" "800x600"
~        EndSubSection
EndSection

Where "Default Screen" and "Default Monitor" is to be substituted for
the value in the "Identifier" part of the appropriate "Monitor" or
"Device" sections respectively.
On my box that part looks like this:
Section "Device"
~        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
~        Driver          "i810"
~        VideoRam        131072
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
~        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
~        HorizSync       22-82
~        VertRefresh     56-76
~        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection
If anything is unclear just type `man XF86Config-4' at the command line
and you'll receive all the information you need (and more!)

| I tend to *only* check the box of the target resolution I am looking for.
[snip]
| This way its forced to at least try the resolution I want first. I am
not sure
| this is necessary now but it seems to work for me...
This is unnecessary imho, just make sure the desired "default
resolution" is the first name in the Modes line of the Display
Subsection to the Screen section as indicated above, RTFM =).
Another note:
If after having changed your configuration and restarted the X server
your screen is only partially shown on the monitor and you can only see
the other parts by moving your mouse to the appropriate edges of the
screen you have to add a line like

Virtual 1024 768

to the Display subsection corresponding to the used color depth for
every color depth you want to use.

This should be enough info to do what you want =)
Cheers from Germany, Roman.