Re: thunderbird: set default browser, file types for attachnents, ...

Michael Friendly wrote:
Using Thunderbird V1.0 (20050116), with debian testing, Firefox (Debian package 1.0+dfsg.1-6) Epipheny, and mozilla installed, gnome 2.8:

I'd like to set thunderbird to use firefox as the browser to open
links in mail messages, but can't find any setting in preferences for
this.  It always uses Epipheny.

This is a Gnome thing, not a thunderbird thing. If you go to the Applications menu, then "Desktop Preferences / Advanced / Preferred Applications", then there's a Web Browser tab that allows you to select "Firebird/FireFox".

There are also problems in handling attachments:
- I can't see how to control how thunderbird handles attachments
for different file types.  From Preferences -> Attachments there
is a File Types panel (empty) but I can't type anything in there
and there's no Add button.

Probably also a Gnome thing, I guess, although I've now internalised the "for god's sake, don't click on anything" paranoia sufficiently that I always save the file first.

- When I try to save an attachment, I don't get a directory window
to choose where to save the file.

Yep: lame, isn't it?

- With email digests that bundle items as attachments, the display of attachment
names doesn't scroll, but rather takes up the majority of the mail
window, rendering it unreadable.

I don't experience that one, but there's a similar effect when you view all message headers.