Re: Re: Sarge i386 with AMD64 3200+ and Gigabyte GA K8-NS Pro (nForce3) ?

>The installation on my GigaByte K8-NS Pro went rather smoothly.
>Well, the first installation didn't work at all, since the debian
>installer apparently failed to format the partitions and it installed
>everything "atop" the previous sarge installation used for testing.
>But the second installation went smoothly.
>Have you considered trying a liveCD for testing the motherboard ? I'd
>give Knoppix a try and see if it works.
>Another possibility is to try the yet not officially available debian
>installer RC3:
>http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
>I suppose the daily snapshots (i.e. in 20050322/ or current/ ) are
>already RC3 versions:
>http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/i386/.
>
>Best regards,
>Hannes.

Thanks for the quick answer! The debian users responsiveness wasn't
just a myth it seems :)

That's good to hear and gives me some comfort. I have little doubts
about the motherboard as it's been running some other (commercial) OS
for quite some time, and that I finally suceeded in having it run a
testing version of debian (through the woody -> sarge upgrade path)
which gave me only partial satisfaction with regards to network
interface, but that was rather due to my being linux-challenged.
However, I have experienced the problem with formatting partitions too
as when I tried to do a write partitions to disk, it answered me about
ne being able to mount root parition to /dev/hda1, go figure.

I think I will give the installer RC3 a shot, and hopefully, will end
up in the debian-installer happy users family. (I _want_ to install
sarge through the installer or get to the bitter end with it).

I'll let you know how it went :)