Re: Re: Sarge i386 with AMD64 3200+ and Gigabyte GA K8-NS Pro (nForce3) ?

Hi Remi!

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:16:37 +0100, Remi Butaud wrote:
> >So if 32bit sid works great, 32bit sarge will do too ?
> >
> >So if I install 32bit sarge on AMD64, is it fully compatible to a
> >32bit system ? I mean, can I run all 32bit compiled stuff ?
>
> Hi, I am currently trying to install 32bit Sarge on an AMD64 with an
> nForce3 chipset, and it doesn't go anywhere near smoothly. I've been
> accumulating failures and debian installer mishaps like non detection
> of network hardware, or missing kernel / kernel modules. Even
> installing Woody first then upgrading to Sarge doesn't exactly work.
> (I can forget about net install as the nForce3 chipset doesn't get
> identified as a nic).
>
> The good new is that I'll keep tryin until it works, and if anybody
> else has a problem too, that might help them. I'm surprised that I
> couldn't find more testimonies about how painful it is, given that my
> motherboard (asus K8ne) isn't exactly confidential. I suppose people
> are much more able than me usually, or that I'm especially unlucky.
>
> I dream of a smooth install with the debian installer :)
>
> In the meantime, if you do find a Sarge build that has a working
> installer for an amd64 with nForce3 chipset, I'd be interested to
> know.

The installation on my GigaByte K8-NS Pro went rather smoothly.
Well, the first installation didn't work at all, since the debian
installer apparently failed to format the partitions and it installed
everything "atop" the previous sarge installation used for testing.
But the second installation went smoothly.
Have you considered trying a liveCD for testing the motherboard ? I'd
give Knoppix a try and see if it works.
Another possibility is to try the yet not officially available debian
installer RC3:
I suppose the daily snapshots (i.e. in 20050322/ or current/ ) are
already RC3 versions:
http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/i386/

Best regards,
Hannes.