Re: slow Internet transfer times

Hi Milton,

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 09:44:47AM -0500, milton@cam.org wrote:
> To all,
>
> I now regret having included, at the last minute, the first 2 lines of my postings.
>
> My intention was simply to inform anyone who might be interested that I did try
> to search the 'debian-user' archive only to find that:
>
>      1. I had to search the archive manually;
>      2. I had to do so 1 page at a time;
>
>         With approximately 400 postings per page, 10 such pages
>         per month I calculated that it would take an enormous amount
>         of time to search the archive. Furthermre, I made a mistake,
>         there are almost 10 not 2 years worth of archives.
>
>         That means (10 years * 12 months * 10 pages per month * 400
>         postings per page = ~480,000 postings total).
>
> IMJ, expecting anyone to searching 1/2 million postings manually is not
> reasonable.

I remember before the internet, I had to look in the library, in the
manual stacks, or ask other students and professors. After the internet
and before search engines, you had newsgroups and a few gophers and of
course you could not very easily search for things. But with the advent
of search engines and archives, I do at least some searching via google
at least for a few pages. I find good info some time and also find other
less expected things that I wouldn't have known about during the search.
Its about the journey... at least for a few minutes. After that I would
just gather my facts and try to explain what I have tried and what I
wanted accomplish and email that.

> I never expected anyone to do the research on my behalf. I did, however, hope
> that *if* anyone knew of a solution the problems I posted they would be kind
> enough to take the time to send it to me.

no one here, including me, has intentions of withholding some morsel of
wisdom gained, its expected if you want to part of the community.

> BTW, I worked as a Software Quality Assurance Engineer for 5 years during which
> time I worked exclusively with UNIX. Throughout that period I solved 90+% of the
> problems I had, on my own using only the man pages and the printed documentation
> that came with the systems. *All* 5 UNIX systems I worked with (including
> installation, maintenance, and the testing of software) were easier to install
> and configure than Debian GNU/Linux Woody.

cool! thanks for doing work that made *nix better. I can only guess that
installing *nix back them involved a really big tar file. So while it
may not have been a piece of cake, it would propably be more
straigtforward. Although I love to hear why woody was harder. Knowing
that boot-floppies where know to not to be the easiest but most (after
practice) found it decent and consistent -- not withstanding that fact
that today BF are not going to support most of the modern things out of
the box. Which is why the debian-installer was created! and is full of
modular-goodness!

sorry if it was a bit brusque, but there have been folks who write
asking for us to do their kernel homework for them or ask where to
find the linux kernel or ask 'I just install debian, how do I set up
exim' when there are at least 10+ pages about doing so on Debian and
much more generel pages that they never search.

cheers,
Kev

> Quoting Kevin Mark <kmark+debian-user@pipeline.com>:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 01:31:41PM -0500, milton@cam.org wrote:
> > > 1st I have not had time to check 2 years worth of mailing list archives
> > > to see if there is already a answer to this problem. Soo...
> > >
> > Hi Milton,
> > this and other mailing lists are volunteer efforts. Our time is as
<snip>