cryptsetup, crypttab --> key file question

I'm trying to setup an encrypted external hard drive. I'd like to set
it up so that when the machine reboots it does not ask for a
passphrase. I don't mind entering a passphrase when I mount the drive,
but I don't want it to happen during the boot process (because I'm
usually remote). I've found some very good resources about setting up
the encrypted drive/partition, but I haven't seen how to remove the
need for a passphrase. [I don't want to use the /dev/random technique,
since I may want to move the encrypted external hard drive to another
computer and then mount it there.

Any thoughts/suggestions helpful.

Two specific questions:

o  If the drive does not mount automatically on boot (i.e., has noauto
in /etc/fstab) will this mean it won't ask for the passphrase on boot?

o  In /etc/crypttab, could I have a line like:

data /dev/sda1 SillyPassPhrase

I would test these permutations, but the computer is at a remote
location now and I can't afford to have it get stuck while booting.

Thanks