Re: /dev/null: access denied

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 12:21:06AM +0100, Pavel Novák wrote:
Hi people!
I added new sources for KDE 3.4:
deb http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.4.0/ ./

and type dist-upgrade on my Debian unstable. It downloaded all kde
packages and many more others to upgrade.

After install and reboot I can't run many programs because of bad
privileges on /dev*.

For example startkde or zsh shows error: /dev/null: access denied. When
I do hack chmod a+rw /dev/* it's relatively ok till next reboot.

Can you help me where would be problem please?

I ran into essentially the same thing a while back. Turns out it due to a change in udev rules. If you have written any custom rules, back them up and replace /etc/udev/udev.rules with the newer file that has probably been added recently by apt.

You could probably diff the files, or look through the udev.rules file to find the problem yourself, but I didn't take the time. Backing up my custom rule for my Cruzer Micro, replacing the file, and restoring that rule solved that problem for me.

--
Steve Block
http://ev-15.com/