OT: Bash Problem

I use KDE, which includes Konsole (which is great -- letting me have a huge
number of different command line windows available easily), and Kate, which
is a programming editor, which includes a console in the bottom of the
window.

On Konsole, and on Kate in another install I had, when I typed a real long
command, it would word wrap to the next line.  Now, for some reason, in Kate,
when I type a LONG command line, it doesn't wrap to the next line, but wraps
onto the same line.  If I go back and edit part of the line, it is a real
mess and almost impossible to read.

I'm using the same .bashrc file, and there is no use of a profile file, so I
can't see what the differences between the two consoles (in Konsole and
Kate's console).  So what am I doing wrong, and what do I need to do to allow
long commands to wrap onto the NEXT line instead of the same one?

Thanks!

Hal