Re: Bounty system for people helping on debian-user

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 16:16 +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:
> Jochen Schulz wrote:
> > * Bob Alexander:
> >
> >>I was struck by the beta trial of a bounty system paying 5 bucks to
> >>people helping with firefox/thuinderbird problems (cannot find that page
> >>anymore but I am sure I have seen it last week with credit card payment).
> >>
> >>I was wondering if anyone in the Debian project has ever considered to
> >>setup a mechamism for helpers to catch support requests and get some
> >>little monetary reward for helping.
> >

> > I don't think that there is any need for that. I myself am always glad
> > when I am able to help someone. I am a Debian user for three or four
> > years now and I know that I would've never got that far without other
> > people's voluntary help. So I think the best way to express gratitude is
> > to do the same to other newbies.
> >
> > If you really, really appreciate how someone helped you out you could
> > still contact him privately and ask for a favor you could do to him/her.
> > Many people also have public wishlists no amazon and the like.
> >
> > BTW, I was very happy to receive your last mail. :-)
> >
> > J.
>
> I agree 100% but ... sometimes the help comes after 20 emails and hours
> of troubleshooting and in those cases I would really like to reciprocate.
>
> Dealing cases as these one by one would be more complicated (think for
> instance of a "payment" infrastructure) and could better be centralized.
>
> Of course this would not be a substitution of the voluntary system.
>
> There could even be a variant called "Thanks to Debian" ... you help me,
> I feel I owe you something ... I donate 5 bucks to the Debian project
> (SPI ?) in your name ...
>
> But I understand mine is just a free nocturnal idea :)
I am with Jochen on this. No need for remuneration. I believe the only
thing that is going to help Debian is more people helping.

So, Bob, are you gonna help out the newbies too? Cause that is what ALL
of us in Debian want: More goodwill, more hands to help those off the
floor, etc...

I don't think you'll ever feel more helpful than explaining how
something works in Debian. There are some things I look back wonder if
it really did help someone.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is