Strange VOIP Question

I've got a strange VOIP question, and when I've tried Google searches, there
is too high a noise-to-signal ration, so it's hard to get anything useful
from searches (unless someone can suggest some good terms to narrow things
down).  For business, I have to dial in to other computers with a modem.
These are NOT internet connections, but straight computer-modem-computer
connections.  Whether I go through Verizon, Cavelier, or Comcast, I'm screwed
with high costs for the extra lines (I already have 2 lines, 1 for voice, 1
for computer, so adding a 3rd will mean re-wiring in my house, which isn't
the big deal, but also re-wiring to my house unless I use Comcast).

One thing that would be PERFECT for me would be if, instead of using a
"standard" VOIP client, I could use a program that acts like a modem
(including AT commands), and lets me control it like I would from a program
like Minicom (or from a program of my own, like using Perl to open the device
like a file).  This program would then send the resulting carrier with data
out over a VOIP system, the same way a voice signal would go.  I know I'd
have to get a service like Skype-Out to dial out of their standard system,
but it'd mean I could do more about balancing different systems without
adding an additional 3-4 phone lines.

I'm not a C or C++ programmer, which is what I understand I'd need to work
with any sdks for VOIP.  I have heard of a program called modemum that can
emulate a modem over telnet, but I don't know if that would work at all as
part of this.

So does anyone know if what I want is possible, or have any suggestions on
search terms to add other than obvious ones like VOIP, modem, or carrier?

Thanks!

Hal