Re: [ANN] PicoDebian: a thinned down version of Debian Sarge

Ron Johnson wrote:

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 12:36 +0000, Chris Boot wrote:
Hi all,

First of all, let me apologise about cross-posting to the Soekris Tech and Debian User mailing lists.

[snip]
I must admit at the moment it's not fit for release, I'm mostly trying to judge how much interest there is in such a thing before I go a register a project on SourceForge or the like.

If easily configurable, and if the ISO is able to be dd'd to a CF
card by "distro-making newbies", then I think it's a *great* idea.
Well, on the host system, where you configure everything, you can just use apt-get and dselect and company to install / update packages as you wish. So it certainly is configurable. It's not actually an ISO as such, but I guess this can be done. At the moment, it relies on 2 partitions, one ext2 for grub to get the kernel from, then the squashfs with everything else on it. Simply partition the CF, dd the two filesystems, run grub and reboot. This can be done on either the target machine itself or via CF adapter on the host.

Since it uses udev, there must be a 2.6 kernel, right?
That's my current choice, but anyone can uninstall udev and use devfs or even a static /dev if they so desire. I don't see a 2.4 kernel being a problem, I only started using a 2.6 since DMA didn't work on 2.4 kernels for my internal HD, I just haven't bothered to move back.

HTH,
Chris

--
Chris Boot