[ANN] PicoDebian: a thinned down version of Debian Sarge

Hi all,

First of all, let me apologise about cross-posting to the Soekris Tech and Debian User mailing lists.

I have owned a Soekris[1] net4801[2] for many months now, and so far it has been running Debian Sarge (testing) off an internal laptop hard drive. Since I wasn't happy with this approach (for many reasons) I decided to move to a read-only filesystem on a CF card. With very little effort on my part, I managed to get a rather small root filesystem that includes a plethora of goodies from ISC BIND and DHCP to OpenVPN (and many more). Its main advantage though is that it will easily fit on a 32MB CF card, and could be shrunk even further with the removal of a few extra goodies that I chose to include.

I've called my mini-sarge PicoDebian[3], mostly because my net4801 is called Piccolo. I overcame my main obstacle of the read-only filesystem with the help of Pebble[4] (which I didn't want to use because I needed slightly more up-to-date packages). More information is available on my site.

I must admit at the moment it's not fit for release, I'm mostly trying to judge how much interest there is in such a thing before I go a register a project on SourceForge or the like.

Regards,
Chris