Re: Acrobat 7.0 for linux is out

Micha Feigin wrote:
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:22:34 -0500
"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 17:37 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 23:34 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

Nate Bargmann wrote:

* Dave Howorth <dhoworth@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> [2005 Mar 15 09:44 -0600]:

OK.  Figured it out.  On one box I linked /opt/Acrobat7.0/bin/acroread
into /usr/local/bin and on the other into /opt/bin (I had added /opt/bin
to the PATH variable in /etc/profile).  That is what was causing the
problem.  I did some google searching and found that /etc/login.defs
gets read in before the login process starts.  So I updated ENV_PATH and
ENV_SUPATH in /etc/login.defs to contain /opt/bin.  I then rebooted the
machine (it's a laptop and never gets much uptime anyway) just to be
sure.  However, this did not do it.

Where the heck does /opt come in to the picture?  Is that where
you want to store non-dpkg-managed binaries?

Its what red-hat uses by default for self compiled and non-packaged binaries
(possibly others, not sure). Debian prefers/usr/local/, thus no /opt by default
on debian.

Are you sure about that story ?
Recently I installed Sarge on a Desktop:
there was a /opt directory.

Anyhow I have linked it to

as my /usr/local

is mounted on its own partition.

Furthermore, I think that a lot of people do that.

Yeah.  /usr/local for self-compiled and/or customized free software
packages.  /opt for non-free stuff (Acrobat, icc, etc).

Roberto C. Sanchez

 This Mail Was Scanned By Mail-seCure System
 at the Tel-Aviv University CC.

Dr. Jerome BENOIT
room A2-26
Complexo Interdisciplinar da U. L.
Av. Prof. Gama Pinto, 2
P-1649-003 Lisboa, Portugal
email: jgmbenoit@wanadoo.fr or benoit@cii.fc.ul.pt
If you are convinced by the necessity of a European research
initiative, please visit http://fer.apinc.org