Re: Acrobat 7.0 for linux is out

Ron Johnson wrote:
On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 17:37 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 23:34 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

Nate Bargmann wrote:

* Dave Howorth <dhoworth@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> [2005 Mar 15 09:44 -0600]:

[snip]

OK.  Figured it out.  On one box I linked /opt/Acrobat7.0/bin/acroread
into /usr/local/bin and on the other into /opt/bin (I had added /opt/bin
to the PATH variable in /etc/profile).  That is what was causing the
problem.  I did some google searching and found that /etc/login.defs
gets read in before the login process starts.  So I updated ENV_PATH and
ENV_SUPATH in /etc/login.defs to contain /opt/bin.  I then rebooted the
machine (it's a laptop and never gets much uptime anyway) just to be
sure.  However, this did not do it.

Where the heck does /opt come in to the picture?  Is that where
you want to store non-dpkg-managed binaries?

Yeah.  /usr/local for self-compiled and/or customized free software
packages.  /opt for non-free stuff (Acrobat, icc, etc).

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr